8.21.2008

I've Found my Next Dream Job

   Three years after our honeymoon Steve and I decided we might want to take another trip together.  So we booked a cruise and headed to the Caribbean.  While on the beautiful island of St. Thomas I found my next dream job.  (I already have a pretty good job.)  And the winner is: Curator of a Pirate Museum.  Curator of a pirate museum?  Yes.
     
     What's so great about Blackbeard's Castle?  I'll give you the short list.  It's a sentry tower built in the 1670s by the Danes to keep pirates out of the bay.  Sometime during the early 1700s the infamous Edward Teach, Blackbeard himself, commandeered it.  It's now surrounded by four era homes and a hotel. Scattered throughout the beautiful garden are statues of various vicious pirates.  My favorite is Anne Bonney.  She's the one standing between us, baring her breast and aiming her musket at the cameraman.  Her short biography will strike fear into any young husband's soul.  










Additional perks:  It's the first museum I've been to with a full bar and and a swimming pool.  There's also quite the gun display.  And though I oppose owning firearms on every count, I think being a pirate is one exception.  
     So why am I considering switching careers (and zip codes)?  1.  I love pirates.  2.  All either curator did was make me a smoothie and tell me which door to go out.  Seemed like a pretty easy gig.    

1 comment:

teach people not books said...

sweet! you should totally do it. you could get one of those fake parrots for your shoulder and everything.

looks like a great trip!